Home - Use
"Which of these types of maize grows the fastest? I asked.
The old man with grey hair, wrinkle and tanned skin answered: -The yellow takes five months, the purple six, and the white seven.
- And which produces the most?
- The yellow is low, the purple a little more and the white is best.
- Ah! And why not just sow the white one instead of that mixture?
The old man smiled showing small crystalline teeth like bursting grains of maize.
- That is what my son said. But tell me, sir, how will the rains be this year?
- I’m sorry; I'm an agronomist, not a fortune teller.
- You see. Only God knows. But sowing a mixture, if it rains a little,
I gather yellow, if it rains more I gather more, and if it rains well, I gather a little more of all three types."